This is the fourth idea for my fabric sculpture project. The clay was formed around a wire armature to create an abstraction of an inverted wine goblet and an egg-shaped place card holder. My hope was to create a mobius strip in the clay maquette. I didn’t quite reach my goal but I like the organic shapes with their contrasting curvilinear edges. After taping the maquette, I can prepare a pattern for a 20″ fabric sculpture.
I’m still cleaning plaster dust from my home workspace! “Broken Dreams” is an abstraction of a sinking sailboat. I had moved to Florida to live on a Hunter-33 sailboat but have since chosen to live closer to my grandson.
A dragonfly wouldn’t be my first choice in sculpting models, but creating a wire insect was our assignment. “Aerial” was constructed from 14, 16, 18, 20, and 22 gauge copper wire. Spiral, coil, and cold connection techniques were used to create a two-part structure. The back wings provide a stand upon which the rest of the sculpture rests.
Copper, brass, and nickel sheet metal were hammered, cut, sanded and riveted to make Aerial’s water lily.